Basic Adoption Information
Thank you for considering adopting a pet from the Whatcom Humane Society. So that we may be assured that the animal you wish to adopt is best suited to you, your home and your lifestyle, and is placed in an environment that is compatible with his/her needs, we ask that you complete an application. Application forms for dogs and cats (Adobe Acrobat PDF files) may be downloaded below.
The application will help us learn more about what you are looking for in a companion animal.
For you to adopt an animal, we need you to . . .
- Be sure that you are financially able to provide for the animal’s needs. This includes food, supplies, license and veterinary care.
- Be certain you have adequate time to spend with your new pet including time for training, exercise and grooming.
- Have your landlord’s permission to bring an animal onto his/her property.
- Be at least 18 years of age and have verifiable identification.
- Have the consent of all adults in your household.
- Complete an application and discuss it with an adoption counselor.
- Be willing to bring in your current dog to meet the dog you are interested in adopting.
- Be willing to bring in your children to meet the animal you are interested in adopting.
- Understand that WHS adopts animals – does not sell them. WHS reserves the right to postpone or refuse an adoption.
WHS Featured Dog
Click here to learn more about Tug >>
Don’t forget . . . all animals need to be spayed or neutered PRIOR to leaving the shelter and some of the animals in the kennels you see are still in their stray holding period. Any stray animal that the shelter receives must be held for a minimum of 3 — 5 days, not counting the day it was received BEFORE he/she can be made available for adoption.
Once your adoption application is completed and approved you will be given the time and date you will be able to pick up your new family member.
Dogs & Puppies — $115
Cats & Kittens — $115
2 Kittens Adopted the Same Day — $200
Rabbits — $ 45
Previously altered dog or cat over the age of 1 year — $85
Young at Heart Program — Any dog or cat over the age of 5 years, adopted to a person over the age of 55 years — $55
Other animals — Ask our Customer Service team for adoption fee information.
INCLUDED IN THE ADOPTION FEE
- Basic Health Exam
- Spay/Neuter Surgery (for unaltered animals)
- Initial Vaccinations including Rabies
- Intestinal De-Worming
- Feline Leukemia Testing for Cats/Kittens
- Microchip and Registration
- Identification Tags / License
- 30 Days Free Sheltercare Pet Health Insurance
- Collar & Leash for Dogs or Collar and Cardboard Carrier for Cats
- Certificate for Compimentary Health Exam w/ Participating local Veterinarian
- Reference Material on Pet Care & Training
Download Dog Adoption Form (click here)
Download Cat Adoption Form (click here)
Download Small Animal Adoption Form (click here)
Download Horse/Livestock Adoption Form (click here)