Animal Control & Rescue
The Whatcom Humane Society provides animal control and rescue services for Whatcom County. Currently, responsibilities of the WHS Field Service Department include:
- Picking up stray, injured and dead animals.
- Transportation of animals either to their owner if identified in the field, to the shelter for impoundment or to a veterinarian for medical treatment (if WHS staff veterinarian is not available).
- 24 hour emergency rescue services for any animal in need.
- Administration and enforcement of all animal control regulations, including court appearances.
- Investigation of cruelty and neglect complaints; and imposition of penalties authorized by the State of Washington RCW.
- Acting as a liaison for WHS at various community events, low-cost vaccination and license clinics and neighborhood gatherings.
Extensively trained WHS Animal Control Officers are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Officers investigate reports of animal cruelty and neglect, provide animal rescue to any animal in need, pick-up stray, injured or deceased animals and enforce laws that protect animals and people.
If you are aware of an animal being abused or neglected, please call our Animal Control Office at (360) 733-2080, ext #3017.
WHS Featured Cat
Click here to learn more about Ty >>
If you are not sure if a situation constitutes neglect or cruelty – such as a neighbor’s dog tied to a tree in the yard with no visible food or water – please call our office and request that a “welfare check” be conducted. A WHS officer will visit the home and determine what steps to take. In many cases the officer is able to educate the owner about responsible pet care.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for a WHS Animal Control Officer to respond to a call involving animal neglect, cruelty, a barking dog or to conduct a “welfare check” on an animal, you must provide an EXACT address for our officers. We cannot respond to the call without this information.
Email Animal Control at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are worried about calling WHS to file a complaint because you fear retaliation or an unpleasant confrontation, your call and name can be kept anonymous.
Animal Control services for the City of Lynden are performed by the Lynden Police Department. Please contact them directly at (360) 354-2828.