Note: These resources are for informational purposes only. The Whatcom Humane Society does not endorse any one particular business or service.
Health & Safety
|Animal Emergency Care||4176 Meridian St., Bellingham||360-758-2200|
|Animal Eye Care||405 32nd St. #103, Bellingham||360-676-7770|
|Banfield Pet Hospital||4379 Meridian St., Bellingham||360-734-9459|
|Bellingham Veterinary||720 Virginia St., Bellingham||360-734-0720|
|Birch Point Cat & Dog Clinic||1733 H St., Blaine||360-332-2800|
|Blaine Animal Hospital||8892 Blaine Rd., Blaine||360-332-6813|
|Chuckanut Feline Center||1214 Dupont St., Bellingham||360-671-7707|
|Fairhaven Veterinary Hospital||2330 Old Fairhaven Pkwy, Bellingham||360-671-3903|
|Fountain Veterinary Hospital||2430 Meridian St. #2, Bellingham||360-733-2660|
|Glacierview Animal Hospital||1874 Main St., Ferndale||360-384-4482|
|Kulshan Veterinary Hospital||8880 Benson Rd, Lynden||360-354-5095|
|Larrabee Animal Medicine||1110 Larrabee Ave., Bellingham||360-527-9533|
|Lynden Veterinary Hospital||1919 Front St., Lynden||360-354-7988|
|Maplewood Animal Hospital||2869 W Maplewood Ave., Bellingham||360-715-1430|
|Mountain Veterinary Hospital||3413 Mt. Baker Hwy., Bellingham||360-592-5113|
|Nooksack Animal Hospital||302 W Columbia St., Nooksack||360-966-3207|
|Northshore Veterinary Hospital||1486 Electric Ave. #102, Bellingham||360-738-6916|
|Northwest Veterinary Clinic||8115 Birch Bay Square St. #135, Blaine||360-366-5434|
|Village Veterinary Hospital||236 36th St. Bellingham||360-647-1980|
|Whatcom Veterinary Hospital||5610 Barrette Ave., Ferndale||360-384-0212|
|Williams Veterinary Hospital||7786 South Silver Lake Road, Maple Falls||360-599-1030|
Peacehealth Pet Care Resources
Peacehealth St. Joseph Medical Center Pet Care Resources Program
Plan for Pet Care Before Your Hospital Stay. Sooner or later almost all of us will need care in the hospital. It may be planned, elective procedure or it may be an emergency. Either way, it is important to have a plan to care for your pet. Visit www.peacehealth.org/st-joseph/petcare for information on pet care options, emergency plans and financial assistance. For a downloadable brochure, click here.
GENERAL PARK RULES AND REGULATIONS
All areas not posted otherwise require dogs to be under control and on leash at all times.
- Arroyo Park: All trails
- Lake Padden Park:
- The fenced off-leash area near the ball fields in the southeastern part of the Park
- Trails as designated at the east end of the park between the fenced off-leash area and the Galbraith Entrance.
- A dog water exercise area near the ball fields area on the east side of the lake is signed for dog training and exercise. Dogs are restricted to entering Lake Padden only in this area.
- Sunset Pond: All trails plus the water are designated for water exercise and training.
- Sehome Hill Arboretum: All secondary (unpaved) trails. Dogs must be on leashes on all paved trails plus the Jersey Street and Arboretum Walkway.
- Bloedel Donovan Park: During daylight hours from October 1 to April 30 and until 10:00 am from May 1 to September 30.
- Whatcom Falls Park: The Waterline Trail south of Whatcom Creek and west of the Water Treatment Plant to Bayview cemetery and the trail from the Waterline Trail south to Lakeway are off leash.
- Little Squalicum Park: All Trails. NOTE – Little Squalicum Creek may contain hazardous chemicals which may be harmful to animals. Also, the Little Squalicum Beach area is not owned or operated by the Bellingham Parks and Recreation Department.
- Post Point Dog Park in Fairhaven: The field, trails and the lagoon water are in a designated area adjacent to the treatment facility and are open for dog training and exercise.
- Lincoln Park: Full park is off-leash.
- Skallman Park: Fenced play areas for dogs. Park is managed with the help of Grateful Dogs Off-Leash Society.
- VanderYacht Park: Off-Leash areas.
- Bender Fields: There is a 1 acre fenced enclosed off-leash dog park in the southeast corner of the complex.
- There are various off-leash areas and trails throughout Whatcom County and the North Cascades mountain region. Please check individual areas and trails before letting your dog off-leash. Whatcom County Parks and Recreation can point you toward off-leash areas.
When a dog is within a designated off-leash exercise and training area, it is the owner’s/handler’s option to keep the dog under control by means of a leash. When the dog is off-leash, the owner/handler must still keep the dog under voice or sound control and is therefore responsible for all action, behavior and clean up of the dog. NOTE: Dogs in heat MUST be restricted from off-leash areas, as well as dogs who exhibit aggressive behavior toward people or other dogs.
Scoop the Poop!
No Dogs Allowed
- Lake Padden Park and Bloedel Donovan swimming beach areas and any park land within fifteen (15) feet of the edge of Lake Padden or Lake Whatcom. The beach areas at each site are defined as:
- Lake Padden: all land directly between the beach house parking lot sidewalk and the lake
- Bloedel Donovan: all land bounded by the park/community building parking lot, boat launch, and the lake.
- Cornwall Park and Fairhaven Park wading pools.
- The athletic field playing surfaces located at:
- Frank Geri Fields (Civic Field Complex)
- Downer Fields (Civic Field Complex)
- Lake Padden Park Fields
- Battersby Field
- Inside fenced areas of Civic Field Stadium
- Inside fenced areas of Joe Martin Field Stadium
- Within all park playground equipment areas
- Within all tennis courts
- Spray Parks
- Big Rock Garden Park
- Lower level of Boulevard Park west of the path along the parking lot including all grass areas and the path along the bay shoreline, path to craft studio and path near the playground equipment. Dogs ARE allowed on leash on the path next to the parking lot and to the water trestle along the trail to the south end of the park and to the overhead trestle and trail at the north end of the park.
- All of Bloedel Donovan Park during the period of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend EXCEPT for off leash hours in the morning.
- In the COUNTY, dogs are NOT permitted on trails or cross-country areas within the National Park or designated shellfish beds, in park buildings, at Canyon Lake Community Forest, Stimpson Family Nature Reserve and point Whitehorn Marine Reserve.
- Arroyo Park: All Trails.
- Cornwall Park: Wooded area between ballfield and pedestrian trail.
- Lake Padden Park: Bridle trails on wooded side of park above pedestrian trail.
- Little Squalicum Park: Trail from Bellingham Technical College to Bay.
- Whatcom Falls Park: Trails across the bridge, north of Whatcom Creek.
The owner or handler is responsible for cleaning up waste deposits left on park property and they are required to have in their possession the equipment to remove the fecal matter when accompanied by their horse on public property or public easement.
PET LOSS SUPPORT
The loss of a cherished pet is a sad event for anyone. We’ve provided some helpful resources to help you get through it.
Note: These lists and links are provided as a service to the community and do not necessarily include all Pet Loss resources. The Whatcom Humane Society is not affiliated with these organizations and writers and does not take responsibility for the content therein.
Additional Pet Loss Resources
Pet Loss Support Group at WHS
Pet Loss Hotlines
Books for Children
Books for Adults
The following list is local and out of area dog trainers who utilize positive based training methods. Some may offer discounts on group or private classes to WHS adopters.
Dog Trainers List
Whatcom Humane Society has a long-standing policy of only recommending and working with dog trainers and dog training facilities that utilize positive, reward based training methods. We feel strongly that this is the most humane way of treating and training companion animals.
Rewards Based Training
Kennels and Boarding Facilities
|3 Schips & A Girl||4775 Aldrich Rd., Bellingham, WA 98226||360-927-6033|
|Animal Attraction||5206 Guide Meridian, Bellingham, WA 98226||360-318-6411|
|Bellingham Bed and Biscuit||5028 Hannegan Rd., Bellingham, WA 98226||360-398-9880|
|Cat Country Resort||6912 Mecklem Rd., Everson, WA 98247||360-966-4342|
|Cat Nap Inn||1244 Butler Creek Rd., Sedro Woolley, 98284||360-724-3513|
|Custer Kennels & Boarding||8185 Stein Rd., Custer, WA 98240||360-366-4709|
|Hyline Hotel & Training for Dogs||1012 E Hemmi Rd., Everson, WA 98247||360-398-0174|
|Lomar’s Dog Haven||8274 Custer School Rd., Custer, WA||360-366-3647|
|Nooksack Animal Hospital||302 W Columbia St., Nooksack, WA 98276||360-966-3207|
|Nooksack Dog Dens||Sumas, WA||360-988-2000|
|Northwest Kennels||4796 Northwest Dr., Bellingham, WA 98226||360-384-6578|
|Pet’s Choice Sitting Services||Bellingham, WA||360-306-0367|
|Plush Pooch||953 Bass St., Bellingham, WA 98229||360-676-0430|
|Pooch Palace & Kitty Kastle||7056 Peace Portal Way, #A1, Ferndale, 98248||360-526-0093|
|R&R Kennels||1861 Mt. Baker Hwy., Bellingham, WA 98226||360-671-8445|
|Rover Stay Over||6451 Hannegan Rd., Lynden, WA 98264||360-306-5931|
|Upscale Puppy||8365 Kickerville Rd., Blaine, WA 98230||360-332-2136|
|Whatcom Veterinary Hospital||5610 Barrette Ave., Ferndale, WA 98248||360-384-0212|
Local Pet Sitters
|Amys Pet-n-Home Sitting||Bellingham, WA||360-820-3778|
|Aunt Carol’s Pet Sitting||Bellingham, WA||360-318-5606|
|Barkley’s Best Sitting||Bellingham, WA||360-325-2926|
|Catnip Cat Care Services||Bellingham, WA||360-224-7209|
|Down on the Farm||Bellingham, WA||360-739-9688|
|Happy Hounds and More||Bellingham, WA||360-961-2725|
|Hot Dawg Pet Care||Bellingham, WA||360-820-2320|
|Jan’s Critter Sitters||Bellingham, WA||360-671-0175|
|Lisa the Cat Nanny||Bellingham, WA||360-305-0575|
|Lynden Pet Nanny||Lynden, WA||360-318-9642|
|Pet Pals||Bellingham, WA||360-305-1280|
|Pet Sitters by the Bay||Bellingham, WA||360-734-0364|
|Spoiled Critter Services||Bellingham, WA||360-306-0367|
|The Puget Hound||Bellingham, WA||360-224-5307|
|Whatcom Petcare Network||Bellingham, WA|